Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Napping

Is it just me, or does everyone have a very concrete, unchangeable, very polarized view about napping?  With all the campaign crap exploding out of every orifice, I have been thinking a lot about what swedes decisions for people.  Do the smear ads convince people?  Do the debates sway voters? Or is it the support of other people (friends, social media, traditional media, other politicians)?  Or is it the way a political votes on specific issues?

Do campaigns really make much different?  We have had an entire lifetime to develop our opinions and formulate a kind of personal map about what principles are priorities for us, what we think is important.  Perhaps these campaigns just tap into that story.  They help us identify who is most like us.  The more I think about this, the more I wonder, to which camp do these politicians belong on my hot button issue: napping.

I just want to know, are you a napper?  Do you accept nappers?  Do you abhore and condesend to nappers?  Because, I know you have an opionion about it.  Everyone does.

I'll refrain from identifiing my affiliation at this moment, but I promise not to keep you in suspense for too long.

I can't help but see napping as a medium for people to identify with a world view.  If you like napping you might argue that a little rest mid-day refreshes and revitalizes your spirits and helps you focus your energy for the rest of the day.  However, if you are anti-napper, you may argue that you are truly ambitious, that you do not sleep your day away, that you get things done, that you are a hard worker, and nappers are entirely lazy and unproductive.

Which way do you vote?

Okay, I'll tell you what brought this on.  Today I got up for work at 0500 and made it home by 1300 (millitary time) and what full of vigor and enthusiasm about what I had accomplished in the morning (there can be much said about people who do and do not like the mornings as well, I am sure) and then had a lovely lunch with my mother who was passing through town.   About 1430 it hit me, my energy sagged (could it have been the experienmetal accupuncture from work?) and I could function no farther.  And so I laid down for an afternoon nap.  I slept for two hours and woke like a new person.  It was like magic.

So you've found me out.  I rarely have the opportunity to nap, but when I do, and when I can actualy sleep, I am never happier.  There you have it, I vote yes on napping.  And, accupuncture for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment