Thursday, December 9, 2010

Jeopardy

Okay,  if you weren't already convinced I am an old soul, or at least an old-fashioned soul, here's today's revelation: my most favorite show on T.V. is Jeopardy.

Unfortunately the show airs, without fail, every weekday from 7pm-7:30pm (in case you were unaware or lived under a rock or something).  This time coincides with "change of shift hand overs" at work (i.e. the time when I am meant to be telling the oncoming night shift nurse all about the patient they will be caring for).

On the up side, these reports are happening more and more often at the bedside (if you're not a health care person, perhaps you are unaware that for eons and eons nurses have had the ritualistic passing of the baton in a place discrete and hidden from patients).  What this means is, I happen to be near a T.V. during the Jeopardy 1/2 hour.  And, lucky for me, most of my patients are of an age where Jeopardy happens to be what they watch (or else they fell asleep during the evening news and never turned off their T.V.).

Anyway, it so happens that occasionally I will be in my report zone... a place in my mind where information spews out of me faster than the speed of light (oftentimes earning me glares from the oncoming nurses as they are not able to write "glioblastoma" as quickly as I leave it in my dust) and I hear the sweet sounds of "dom da dom da dom da dom. dot du dom dom dom dom dom" (my literary conversion of the Jeopardy theme song). 

People tend to give me an odd look when, in the middle of report, I stop talking mid-sentence and turn eyes and ears in their natural direction: toward Alex Trebek.  Don't missunderstand me... I don't idolize Trebek.  I actually find him rather pompous and condesending (espcially when he does his French accent, or does some silly video jeopardy on a beach).  But I just love the show.


My night shift counterpart will look at me with great confusion.  Did I just de-rail for Jeopardy?  Oh, yeah.  That just happened.

Somehow, I manage to pull myself away from the program after a question or two and make a concerted effort to finish my report and depart, cursing once again the poor timing.

On the other hand, I only work 3 days a week (and 1 of those is a weekend day).  So the majority of the time my Jeopardy hour is able to remain sacrade.  I can sit, sip wine, work on Russian homework, tinker with the mail, etc and enjoy my trival time.  I can pick the contestant I feel worthy of my support and subsequently jeer or laude the players.  Like I said, I do love this show.

However, do understand that while I stratigically select a player to rout for, I don't actually care to know them.  The segment of the show where contestants blather on about some trivial nothing-or-other snipit of their live's is acturally my least favorite part of the show.  I don't care that "Walt-an-enginer-from-Pennslyvania" saved a kitten from a burning building, or that "Sarah-a-school-teacher-from-Rhode-Island" has a thing against eating anything red. I'd almost rather watch "Extra" with that annoying child-actor-all-grown-up from Saved by the Bell.

In the end I'm there for the occassional answerable question (or is it, questionable answer? Answerable anwser?) and the music (I can't help but hum along... aloud.  Wherever I am).

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment